Today a friend from church came over to talk about homeschooling. She’s not convinced that it is the way to go, but I think she is close. In the course of our conversation, I used an example of a seminar I helped organize that had a mixture of homeschool and Christian school high school students. During the seminar the homeschooled kids interacted better with each other and the speaker, followed the instructions better, and paid closer attention than the traditionally schooled students. She was surprised at this and said she would expect the opposite, because the traditionally schooled kids should know how to behave in a group like that. She asked me for my honest, candid opinion—why this difference? Why does homeschool work?
I’ve never been asked this specific question before, so I had to think about it. We both had some insights as we talked more, but I’d be curious to hear others’ opinions on it…