Monday, November 2, 2009

Crew Review: ABC Teach

Have you ever wished to create a handwriting page for your kids with their current AWANA verses?  How about a word search for their science vocabulary?  What if you could create a mini-book for your preschoolers in the shape of an apple?  Or customize a math worksheet with problems they need to practice?  All these tasks and many more are made simple at abcteach.com

Anyone searching for printables will be familiar with the free section of this website.  Over 5,000 worksheets are available free of charge.  However, the TOS Crew was given a free month to play on the members only section of the website, giving me access to over 30,000 worksheets along with generators for word searches, crossword puzzles, handwriting pages, math fact sheets, and more.  This site is amazing!  I’ve only scratched the surface of the worksheets available in…

  1. Geography-labeling the zones in a mountain; maps and flags for all the countries of the world; map skills sheets for the very young
  2. Art & Music-music theory sheets for learning the staves; art appreciation biographies
  3. Math-place value questions; sheets of story problems arranged by theme-anyone for cowboy math?
  4. Preschool-mazes, dot to dots, coloring pages-lots for the workboxes

But my favorite section by far is the “create your own.”  I’ve generated handwriting sheets for the 5yo with her new words that she is learning in phonics.  My 7 and 10 yo are reviewing their memory verses from last year by copying them from a handwriting sheet I created.  You can choose from all of the popular handwriting styles, from Zaner-Bloser to A Beka to Handwriting without Tears.   We’ve made word searches for spelling words and cross word puzzles for history.   I could easily create our preschool and kindergarten curriculum on this website. 

So, with all this, what is the cost?  A yearly membership is $40.  I looked back and realized that I spent about $10.00 for each of the handwriting books I bought last year.  So, for $40, I can create handwriting that matches what we are learning and so much more.  It was an easy decision to pay for a year once my trial month expired.  Also, if you receive notifications from the Home School Buyers Co-op, abcteach is often featured as one of their vendors, and the discount is significant.

Disclaimer: abcteach.com provided me with a free trial month to test their site.  I receive no other compensation.  The personal opinion cited in this review is based only on my experience in using this website.

Book Review: Everything Sad Is Untrue

  Everything Sad Is Untrue  by Daniel Nayeri was World Magazine 's Children's book of the year as well as the winner of more than a...